How Diversity is Incorporated into the Ph.D. Program
1) Department Diversity and Inclusion Committee comprised of departmental faculty.
2) Faculty attending McNair Conference Recruitment Event and leading poster presentation sessions
3) Examples of courses with elements of diversity and inclusion:
- Psy 5339-Social Psychology: This course includes sections covering social psychological research on prejudice and discrimination.
- Psy 5337-Advanced Social Psychology: This course includes sections covering social psychological research on prejudice and discrimination.
- PSY 5334-History and Systems: This course covers a general history of racism throughout the history of the United States (or specifically, from 1776 to 1970), and it also emphasizes the extent to which psychology as an academic discipline was born into an academic world that was steeped in racism, and how initially, psychology promoted racist ideas.
4) Several faculty and graduate students conduct research relevant to diversity and inclusion, including research on group dynamics, prejudice, racial disparities in health behaviors and access to healthcare, and asynchronous intellective development.